Valuing people and giving back to the community is the basis for the Fares family’s approach to philanthropy. As a Houstonian, much of Nijad Fares’ giving is focused in his hometown but he has also been active in supporting organizations with a national an international reach.
Among the many examples:
- Significant support for Texas Children’s Hospital, including a sizeable gift to the hospital’s Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute – dedicated to accelerating the study and treatment of pediatric neurodevelopmental disorders including autism, Rett syndrome, Angelman syndrome, epilepsy, cerebral palsy and language disorders.
- Support for the Baylor College of Medicine’s Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention
- Service on the Board of Advisors of St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital
- Funding to support the Barbara Bush Chair at Mayo Clinic
- A sizeable contribution to former President George H.W. Bush’s Points of Light Foundation
- Support for an endowment to provide an annual Award for Excellence offered by the Middle East Institute
- Endowment of a scholarship fund for the impoverished children of Lebanon